learning new skills

 Morning Jo.


One of the things I like about quilts is that they are very mathematical. you can decide how big you want your quilt to be by measuring, and then dividing and multiplying and even adding and subtracting. Basic arithmetic. 


I always thought that I did pretty well in the math department. I could figure out what size blocks I needed and I was pretty good at knowing how much fabric I needed. I really have never worried about running out of fabric for a quilt though. There's always another fabric that can take over.  I have found that running out of fabric can make a good quilt even better.


But this calendar quilt is making my math skills look pretty sad. How hard can it be, right? The blocks are 8 inches. I want it to be a bed size quilt. I had a little episode in January when I thought that i had made more blocks than i should have. i was just getting ready to get the stitch ripper out when i realized that I had used 12 as a multiplier rather than 9. I have a bit of a system going. I mark a few blocks whenever I feel like I want to record something. I date it. So having too many  blocks will throw my dates crazy. As much as sometimes it would be nice to have an extra day thrown in..it just wouldn't work. And every Sunday is a 4 inch block. 

This is Sunday Jan.17. 


I have noted some days. Some are special. I mark birthdays of friends and family.  I make notes of events if I feel like it. I have tried not to allow Covid-19 to overwhelm my calendar. It's here but we are dealing with it.


We are still in lockdown. Have been since the day after Christmas. I noted on Feb, 2 that the libraries, hair salons and dog groomers are closed. The liquor control board is open. I cut my own hair. It was driving me crazy and I cut it. And I had a glass of wine and read a book on my computer.

I thought that I was finished one row of my quilt.. but then I realized that I want to make 6 rows across to keep it generally by the month. So I can't end my rows until the end of February. twelve months / six rows. So I will continue to the end of Feb. before I start my second row. And if it needs more rows added at the end of the year I can do that. It's my quilt. I find it smarter to stitch the blocks together as I make them. So at the end I will have a finished quilt top.. not a box full of blocks.

On Saturday night my daughters and I had a video conference call. It was lovely. They both need haircuts too. I am learning how to use technology. 

And today marks a special day for our family. It's both my daughter Amy and my son in law Carl's birthday. Amy is two years older than her favourite brother in law.



It is a milestone birthday for Amy and I was sad not to be able to be with her. But I will be there soon.


Hope you and your family are well.

see you soon.

karenthemotherandmotherinlaw






Comments