What's Underneath

 HI Jo. Happy New Year. 

I like January. I call it my "finish it up" month. I have listed a few projects to be finished. Its not overwhelmingly long. I think I can do it.

It's snowing, Everything is covered with a soft white blanket.. Clean. Magical. Nobody can tell what's underneath.

We will know in the spring what lurks beneath. For today it just looks pure and simple.



A new year. A fresh start. I do love the idea of marking time with on block a day .I have made four calendar quilts so far and I think I will make a new one this year.

calendar 2014 in a private collection/
 four inch blocks with a reverse applique circle.
2015 4 inch blocks with triangles.


I took a break in 2016 but missed doing a daily project so I started a new project on July 1.Then abandoned it . 

I am not the sort of person who easily commits to a lot of things. I call myself a quitter, not quilter.. QUITTER.

I have many projects that I have quit. Some of them so close to the finish line..

In 2019 I did this calendar. 

and in 2021 I did a calendar quilt about  living through a pandemic... among other things. It still need to be bound. I will send a picture when its done. It's on my finish it up in January list.

So what will I do in 2022? I had a conversation with a friend who is not a quilter. She suggested that I do a daily thing then assemble it weekly.  Well I started to tell her that 7 is not a good number.  It's not even. .It isn't good for making a block. I need numbers like 4 or nine. Geometric numbers that fit easily together. And then I remembered a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt that a friend was finishing. There are 7 parts to a GFG quilt. A central hexagon surrounded by 6 hexagons...a block a day! Seven blocks for a flower.
 Wow.
So I started on Saturday and made a hexagon. one block. And today Sunday I joined another hex. At the end of the week I will have a Flower. And I will make flowers and join them until I have a quilt. I don't think that 52 will work. But I have time. I can make it bigger or stop when it is big enough.

I am using a paper piecing method for the blocks. I have cut many hexes-not enough but I have time for that. And I cut the papers from clearing out of the filing cabinet of old papers that are now obsolete. I might leave the papers in the quilt. I might not put a backing on the quilt so that both sides are visible. Not right and wrong sides . Just two sides. Or I can quilt it and leave the papers there for another generation to find. I have lots of time to decide. The work will lead me.

Happy New Year. All the best to you and yours.

Your friend Karenwhocan'tcommit



 



Comments